Sunday, October 14, 2007

Video Response

I thought the video was quite refreshing in a way. I'm glad there's a video now on the internet showing the real truth about advertisments and how many adjustments have to be made for a particular "real" woman to look overly beautiful. Unfortunately, I think there are two different responses for this video.

One, I think a lot of women will see it and react in a kind of shocked way. This is how I reacted. I pretty much questioned, "why would you have to do that in the first place?" Dove and Johnsons & Johnsons are two companies that are trying to change the face of beauty by showing natural women untouched by plastic surgery and literally pounds of makeup and I really like those commercials. Those two companies are really making an effort to show that not all women have to wear tons of makeup to be beautiful and it's the truth. "Beauty is in the eye of its behold." Beauty is based on opinion really and it's a shame that so many young teenage girls think beauty is throwing up after every meal and wearing loads of eye shadow. Beauty isn't skin deep and I truly believe that. I just wished more people believed that and stuck by that saying.

On the other hand, I think some women, after watching that video, may think, "Wow! With just a few adjustments, I can be that beautiful!" Plastic surgery seems so common these days but I really think it's a waste of money. So many things can go wrong with it and it depresses me when women really are so upset with the way that they look that they have to go spend tons of money and be under bandages for months. I understand if it's like scars on the skin or someone just lost tons of weight and they want to get rid of extra skin, but honestly, why else would you want plastic surgery?

I loathe the media for always changing the image of beautiful and what it is currently just sucks. If the media wouldn't press one type of image on the public, then I'm sure a lot more women would be happy with the way they look and young people wouldn't be so caught up with their image. The media leads to their unhappiness.

No comments: