Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tips

I can not remember any specific event and reasons for a case in which I have been discriminated against, but I have discriminated against someone else. I worked and still work at a Mexican restaurant named Chevy's as a hostess, in which I basically take people to their seats. One night I was working by myself and it was my job that night to care of the to-go orders that people had. This oneman came in to get an order adn right when I saw him I knew that I could not expect a tip from him. On to-gos it is not common for someone to tip but it is very appreciated. He had the look of and was dressed like a working man, as in he probably was a construction worker or garbage man. But that mgiht again have been my discrimination telling me that. None the less I did not expect a tip from him because I have not received tips from working people in the past so I did not expect one now. However, when I got his food together and gave him the bill he gave me a $20 tip on a $40 check. I felt terrible. He said that I was really nice and and payed special attention to him and he appreciated it. I could not believe that I made such an awful judgement. I guess I jsut figured that he was a rude man that just wanted his food and leave. He did not seem like he had much money so I figured that he would just pay what he needed to pay and leave. I should not have made such a bad judgement becasue he probably understands how hard I worked and he wanted to thank me for it. Since then I try not to judge whether or not I will receive a tip before I get the money even though I still do. But that moment has made me try to look at how I judge and to not do it in a wrong and pre-mature way again.

No comments: