Saturday, October 27, 2007

Military Brat

How is your identity shaped by your membership in a particular collective? I decided to answer this question using my Formal Paper 3 topic because I specifically put this issue into my paper and I thought it would be best to stay in the same mind-set. How is identity shaped by being a military brat? This is simple. When you are a part of a military family, there are certain aspects of your life that you have to deal with. You move a lot. You don't really get to put roots down anywhere. This kind of constant change requires a certain personality. You have to be an extrovert, basically. You have to be out there and will to accept the change and the challenges that are associated with it. If not, military life is extremely difficult. So, many people who weren't born as extroverts, but as introverts, change slightly. They become more willing, over time, to accept those changes and meet those challenges. They become people who can make more friends quickly and be more open and social. It also becomes easier for them to say goodbye to the familiar and say hello to the different, but not completely easy as it still is hard no matter what to say goodbye to that which you know and say hello to that which you dont. But these people have become use to it and can handle those changes better. Now, personally, I am a natural extrovert and my personality is well suited for military life. But I have met other military brats who both have needed to become extroverts or stay introverts and military life is very difficult for them.
Basically, what I am saying is that Military life will either force you to change your personality if it is not suited for the life, or you will have a very difficult time.

Brittany

No comments: