Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Skier on a Snowboard

My story doesn't have anything to do with my race or my beliefs, but rather an activity that I tried. I have been skiing since I was about 10 years old. Over the years I have gotten to be very good at it and would even consider myself an expert. One day my friends decided to go snowboarding and asked me to come. Because I wanted to fit in, I decided that I would try snowboarding for the first time. I didn't think it could be too hard and without taking a lesson I went to the top of the mountain with my friends. It was a huge mistake. I was so bad at snowboarding and on top of that I got lost on the mountain because I was so far behind all my friends. I felt so out of place because people were going by me making fun of me and telling me to get off the mountain because I was so awful. All I kept thinking about was how badly I wanted my skis. I eventually found my friends but when we finished I decided I would never try snowboarding ever again.

Even though my issue wasn't on the same level as someone getting ridiculed for their race or religion, I still felt I got a taste of what it is like and realized how horrible it can be.

No comments: