Friday, November 30, 2007

Surprisingly Responsible

College has begun a new chapter in our lives. We have started to learn how to live on our own and cope with things alone, instead of leaning on parents or loved ones in times of need. We handle homework and getting fed without breaking a sweat now. Surprisingly, it is because it's all something we WANT to do. We love college and the freedom that comes with it. I know I do.



When I went home for Thanksgiving break, I noticed that these changes in my lifestyle did not go unnoticed by my parents. Since I have been providing for myself, completely without their help, I didn't change that attitude when I got back home. I think my mom was a little surprised (and relieved) that I didn't ask her to do my laundry immediately after walking through the door. I also had to take care of a few financial issues at home, and my dad was shocked to not find me begging for money. I worked during the break, had doctors appointments pre-planned to be sure I was up to date, and even called family members ahead of time to assure visiting times. I'm pretty confident in saying my parents were not just proud of their increasingly maturing daughter, but they were a little sad to see I didn't need them anymore. I know that is kind of dramatic, but I have been living on my own and I wanted to prove my successful independence.

Now that I'm back from home, I notice that it was nice to have my parents around again, but not as the "providers" this time. I saw them as the people who have taught me the basic principles on which to live by; the whole reason I'm so successful at living on my own at college. I can definitely see college as a profound, positive addition to my identity, but after going home, I realize that my parents have helped me the most in adapting to the vast change.

No comments: